Witnessing her mom’s health after a stroke, Sheila felt compelled to write her mom’s story, then realized she wanted to write more. She transitioned from her first act to her second act as an author or dreamer, where she does not experience objective measurements. Sheila is very passionate about language, as she loves the way words and images resonate. She feels that writing is a way to share what experiences have taught her and to express her truth. Sheila shares the following powerful nuggets of life wisdom:
– a book is the heart that beats in the chest of another
– don’t be afraid to make mistakes
– don’t second guess yourself
– just keep going
– transition takes time and can’t be rushed
– make decisions that bring you joy
– for those that are transitioning from act one to act two: you may not see the new work coming, embrace the surge, recognize that it will take time, the new work does not invalidate the old, it builds on it. Also, if you choose to take pursue a second act, then you get to keep your passions, you get to revise your purpose and find a payoff that you might not have previously anticipated.
Writing as a “second act” is thrilling and humbling. Sheila uses skills and work habits learned in her first act to express thoughts and feelings–the fruit of decades–that she hadn’t articulated before. She’s still engaged with the world, but she’s exploring in a different dimension. In addition to career and motherhood, she’s practiced yoga, hiked, and dabbled in foreign languages. Born in a taxi in Manhattan, she studied at the Bronx High School of Science, Harvard University, and the University of California at Berkeley. She continues to live in Phoenix with her husband and her new, rescued dog.
tags: Sheila, Grinell, author, The, Contract, Appetite, Novel, storiesthatempower.com, stories that empower, empowering stories, empowerment stories, stories of empowerment, stories of empowering others, self empowerment stories, stories empower, inspire, inspiring, inspiration, uplift, uplifting, upliftment, hope, light, Sean